Sunday, August 26, 2007

(9) HOLLYWOOD CALLS THE COVER BOY

Through a series of events I explain in more detail in my memoir, I found myself on the cover of the Roto Section of the Akron Beacon Journal in March of 1957. A photographer in town, Irving Waitzkin, insisted I looked like James Dean. Irving asked a photographer at the Akron Beacon Journal, Bill Samaris, to take some pictures of me.

The result was a call from Hollywood! A production company associated with the movie studio United Artists wanted to give me a screen test. Dad thought I might be chasing a rainbow, but when a follow-up telegram arrived, my friends who hung out at Kippy's Diner were enthusiastic for me. I packed my bags and headed west. I was put up in the Knickerbocker Hotel, the same Hollywood Hotel that Elvis stayed in when he was making his movie "Love Me Tender," with Debra Paget.

In Hollywood I was photographed from every angle to prove my James Dean-ness and read lines with a starlet. Then I played my guitar, and because my brother Junior taught me so well, I was good. I sang a song I'd written and a few others. Soon I would have a United Artists movie contract and, a first, a contract with United Artists to make records and tour as a teen idol.

Link to LOVE ME TENDER - Elvis' first movie on IMDb the worlds largest movie database

(Some pictures of Elvis and Debra!)

Elvis singing "Love Me Tender" on a You-Tube video presentation!

DO YOU BELIEVE IN FATE?

No comments: