Friday, August 24, 2007

(7) AKRON, THE RUBBER CITY, OHIO I'M DISCOVERED TO BE THE NEXT JAMES DEAN!

I traveled to build homes with my father as his apprentice. I wanted to be a finish carpenter. Dad and I built in several states. We were adding garages and additions to homes in Akron Ohio, The Rubber City, in 1957, when I was discovered to be THE NEXT JAMES DEAN off a cover of the Akron Beacon Journal - Roto Section.

In September of 2003, Akron Beacon Journal write Mark J. Price published an article about my discovery, which the newspaper back in 1957 was so instrumental in. The article was entitled THE AKRON IDOL!

A teaser of Mark J. Price's article is under Cuyahoga Falls History-Kippy Articles on the net. (Down temporarily!) Kippy's was the diner I hung out in where all the Akron Beacon Journal people came to have lunch, and where a photographer named Irving Waitzkin took an interest in me. Irving took me to the staff photographer, Bill Samaris, who shot the cover photo. Once the cover hit the stands my life was changed forever!

LINK TO ARTICLE REMOVED - EXPIRED on JAN 11, 2011
THE AKRON BEACON JOURNAL has an archive of articles written by Mark J. Price, who frequently mines the archives for old stories as inspiration for new articles.
*** Here's Mark's Article on My Discovery and Kippy's Restaurant

LINK TO ARTICLE REMOVE -EXPIRED on JAN 11, 2011 CT

PLEASE NOTE THAT MARK J. PRICE IS STILL WORKING ON THE AKRON BEACON JOURNAL and is working on a BOOK of his own right now!

No comments: