Wednesday, August 29, 2007

(12) I'm the first artist signed to UNITED ARTISTS new RECORD LABEL and I meet GLARK GABEL!

United Artists signed me to two contracts, one for acting and the other for making music on their brand new record label! UA's Max E. Youngstein signed me himself. I was their first artist and he headed up the new label. I went to New York City to sign with Max and about that time I became Wes Bryan, the new "Singing, Acting, Sensation."

United Artist held a big bash at the chic 21 Club to launch their new label and my career!



Perhaps the greatest thrill for me was that I met the handsome actor CLARK GABLE, who was the star of "Gone With The Wind," on my way out of my own party! Clark had been a "duster" on the line at a factory making new tires in Akron, Ohio himself. Clark shook my hand and his hand was even bigger than mine! I gave him a BOX of my new single record, "Tiny Spaceman" and "Lonesome Love."

I was glorified and petrified as bags of fan mail started to arrive and UA's publicity drums started beating for me. Several news writers announced my arrival on the scene in their columns, including Walter Winchell.

CLARK GABEL - OFFICIAL WEB SITE link above!
Museum of Broadcast Communications
WALTER WINCHELL

 
RADIO HALL OF FAME   link updated Feb 2014

CLARK GABLE FOUNDATION   new!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Bryan,
I recently saw the documentary called James Dean, Forever Young, which had so much material never shown before. I remember talking with Jim Backus many years ago and he either knew you or had heard of you, but he had no information about your portrayal of Dean. Did you ever film any scenes or make a screen test? Michael Sheridan directed the documentary for Warner Brothers, but I don't remember seeing a reference to you. Have you seen this film, narrated by Martin Sheen?

WES BRYAN and CHRISTINE TRZYNA said...

Christine here. I too recently saw the documentary Forever Young, which was a presentation at the Los Angeles Public Library, North Hollywood branch, and featured one of the film makers as a speaker. Believe it or not, the clips of James Dean were the first I've ever seen. (Wes on the other hand is quite knowledgeable about James Dean and has seen all his work.) And yes there was something magical about the way he just became the character he was playing. Seeing this documentary I also saw what Wes must have been up against being groomed to "replace" Dean.

Let me answer this question as best I can. Wes was being groomed to play James Dean for the United Artists (not the Warners) biopic, rather than a documentary. This project was shelved and the reasons for that are revealed in the memoir Wes and I have written, so I can't tell all at this time.

Wes did make a screen test prior to signing with United Artists. Other actors also read for the part of James Dean but Wes was told that the part was his.

WES BRYAN and CHRISTINE TRZYNA said...

Wes here.
In preparation for my part and study of James Dean, I also stayed on the Dean farm for a month.

Anonymous said...

Remarkable story. An old friend of yours, Pete, told me that story years ago. I only visited California briefly, but its spell is still with me. Even your singing voice reminds me of Dean.

Chad Kavek
Hoboken, New Jersey

WES BRYAN and CHRISTINE TRZYNA said...

Hi Chad, Christine here. Wes has been looking for a dear friend of his named Pete Tambunga. If this is your Pete and you know where we can get in touch with him, please e-mail us at wewritethebook@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I actually have your 1st 45 with picture sleeve as well a white label promo of "Freeze" and your Clock 45---which has a bit of the Big Bopper sound----I think thats your best 45------Best Wishes Michael Ace of WVUD 91.3fm

WES BRYAN and CHRISTINE TRZYNA said...

Your station is at the University of Delaware... Tell us a bit about your show Denice! Wes