Saturday, August 25, 2007

(8) WINSTON-SALEM DAYS - THE CREW CUTS

I first heard that I looked like the actor James Dean while building with dad in the Winston-Salem, North Carolina area. I didn't go to many movies then and I honestly didn't know who James Dean was. My social life consisted of going to square dances and driving around town in my brand new baby blue Ford that I bought with my earnings from a summer of home building. I drove it pedal to the floor and was a sure ticket.I pulled into a drive-in restaurant one day and a car hop-waitress on roller skates came up to the car window. She insisted I go see "Rebel Without a Cause" which was James Dean's first movie - a hit. "Go to that movie and you'll see yourself," she said.

"Blackboard Jungle" was the big movie then. It was about hoodlums. But it had a song by the CREWCUTS that we called the "Sha Boom" song and to me it was the first rock and roll record. I loved it.
THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE ON IMBd Worlds Largest Movie DatabaseIMBD BLACKBOARD JUNGLE MOVIE

THE CREW CUTS - FROM THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MUSIC IN CANADA link above.
CANADIAN ENCYC. CREW CUTS page updated April 2014
 


Video replaced April 2014

No comments: