Sunday, September 30, 2007

(38) JIMMIE "HONEYCOMB" RODGERS & ROULETTE RECORDS

Just as my music friends had encouraged me to change labels when I was with United Artist's Record label, after the one record with Clock Records, they encouraged me to change labels again. Changing labels wasn't uncommon. It was like people do today, stay at a job a year, see no future, change jobs again.

This time it was my friend Jimmie "Honeycomb" Rodgers who encouraged me to join Roulette records where he was signed. Buddy Knox and Jimmy Bowen also thought I should be on Roulette, also their label at this point. They eased my way a bit, talking me up at the company, and I would soon be signed.

Jimmie Rodger's has a common name, and as you'll see when you read a bit about him, there were a few other musicians and singers with that same name, so the Jimmie that was my friend got to be known as Jimmie "Honeycomb" Rodgers or "Mr. Honeycomb."



Here's a YouTube video of Jimmie singing "Honey Comb"

NEW VIDEO embedded January 13, 2011




A few years ago, after three brain surgeries, Jimmie Rodgers got himself back on stage! Here is an interview with Jimmie... New link January 13, 2011... Click on the title to get there!

No comments: