Tuesday, September 25, 2007

(35 1/2) FRANKIE AVALON

Friends, in blog #35 I gave a mention to my New York pal and peer, Frankie Avalon, who was also being promoted like me, to be a "Singing, Acting Sensation." I decided he really deserves his own little blog here so I'm doing a blog #35 1/2.

Believe it or not, I was up for some of those beach party type roles he got and I thought Frankie ought to do them. I was born and raised in the mountains, the magnificent Smokey Mountains of far western North Carolina, far from the ocean.




Being from Philadelphia, Frankie had the Atlantic in his back yard. I figured he could relate to the beach scene better than me, that he had actually gone to the beach and had summer fun there, and of course if you know the movies, he became the handsome screen boyfriend of the beautiful Annette Funicello. But before all that, he had a number one hit, "Venus," which is his signature song.

Here's Frankie singing "Venus" on the Dick Clark American Bandstand show.

I used to go to a lot of Frankie's recording sessions in New York at Bell Sound, including when he recorded "Venus," and Frankie also recorded a song I wrote called "I'm Forever Yours."

FRANKIE AVALON at the History of Rock Link at Post Title!


Frankie Avalon - Movies on IMBd movie database.

No comments: