Monday, September 17, 2007

(28) GUY MITCHELL - WISE MAN OR FOOL; THE FIRST RECORD I EVER BOUGHT

As the youngest son I helped my mom with her chores in and around our house on the mountainside in Murphy, North Carolina and continued to do so when we moved to Cottage Grove, Oregon as I was a young teenager.

Mom and I liked to sing songs along with the radio as we worked. We never did get a television.

When I was about fifteen I bought the first record I ever bought, as a gift for my mother. It was a record by Guy Mitchell, called "Wise Man or Fool?" My mom died when I was about 16 and I carried that record with me throughout my career as a kind of talisman, even when it got broken into a thousand pieces and all I had was the label.

A couple years into my career with United Artists, when I was home to New York City for a respite, I walked into the Turf Restaurant and there was Guy Mitchell in the flesh! He patted the seat next to him, bought me coffee, and we talked about singing and the music business. He was fascinated that I had met Elvis Presley and expressed admiration for him. Guy was a gentleman, and when I told him his was the first record I ever bought and that I carried that label around with me as a talisman, he said, "I have a lot of fans but none quite like you!"



OFFICIAL GUY MITCHELL SITE (Be sure to listen to the music clips!) link here!

Click on the title above!


Folks, there is a group over in England that's called the Guy Mitchell Appreciation Society and they are doing a fine job of appreciating Guy! A nice guy named Jim Smith was our original contact with the Society, and Les Peckham is over there now, taking care of things since Jim passed away.



LINK TO GUY MITCHELL APPRECIATION SOCIETY IN GREAT BRITAIN !http://www.belle49.freeserve.co.uk/guy/guyhome.htm LINK UPDATED JANUARY 2012



GUY MITCHELL ON Ed Sullivan Show - A You-Tube presentation




(Les Peckham confirms this is Ed Sullivan show, Thanks Les!)



No comments: