Wednesday, September 19, 2007

(29) The Next James Dean (ME) and the Hound Dog (ELVIS)

That night that I met Elvis and we went to the Rainbow Rink, he came over to me at one point in the evening and told me that he was up for the role of James Dean himself, but having seen me and met me, he wanted me to have it.

"I'll just have to stick with my "Hound Dog," Elvis said.

"Hound Dog" was probably Elvis' most famous song and the one that most people at the time associated with him. It too was a cover of a song that had been recorded by other artists, women and men. The words and music are by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, a song writing team that some say became so influential that they wrote the sound of an entire generation.

That night Elvis had not a care in the world. He was clearly in love with Anita Wood, he had just bought Graceland TM in recent months, and he had his friends and family around him. Nothing about his demeaner that night indicated to me that he had any idea he would soon get a draft notice and be inducted into the United States Army.

In the wee hours of the morning, I asked Elvis to take me back to the hotel, as I had some traveling and shows to perform on the next day. He drove me back in the limo, and before he took off we waved at each other.

"See you on the coast, Wes!"

"Elvis, See you on the coast!"

LINK EXPIRED: Original text:
This is a fantastic presentation by the British Broadcasting Corp about Elvis and "Hound Dog" that features sound clip interviews including songwriter Mike Stoller, radio pioneer Steve Allan, and Elvis' original guitarist Scotty Moore. Click on "covers" to hear my friend Elvis in his ORIGINAL Rock-a-billy VERSION OF "HOUND DOG!"



Video by Jackie one of our YOUTUBER FRIENDS!

No comments: