Saturday, January 17, 2009

(228) ME AND ERSEL HICKEY "THE LOCKSMITH OF ROCK AND ROLL!"


I performed "Freeze" and other songs on a live stage show in Albany, New York. Albany was my first experience of being chased by fans and having my clothes ripped off by them on the street before I got inside the theatre. Somewhere there's a picture of me standing there almost naked.

I was living the Teen Idol's life. So was Ersel Hickey, who was there.

Ersel laughed like he. He said to me "Gee, Wes, don't you wear any underwear? Your shortcomings are sticking out!"

We got to the theatre, Ersel was still intact. But he was standing in the wings waiting to go out and perform his hit "Blue Bird Over The Mountain." Bob Martin announced him. But he screwed up his name. "Here's the fabulous Edsel Hackey!"

"Man, I'm ruined," Ersel said.

Out he went. And that's when the girls stormed the stage and got Ersel down to ...well... Ersel did wear underwear!


Ersel came from Albany, where he had been a locksmith. We called him "The Rock and Roll Locksmith."


Here's Ersel's version and (surprise!) what the Beach Boys did with the song in 1968!






No comments: