Thursday, January 15, 2009

(227) FREEZE ON UNITED ARTISTS

"Freeze" was my second single on United Artists Records, a new label attached to the movie making company. I went up to Harlem and worked with Ben Alexander, who played the saxophone on this one. Ben had worked with Louis Armtrong and the Big Bands. He thought I was green behind the ears, an innocent in New York. He was partially right. I had never heard of Harlem. He teased me about it but when I ran into him at The Turf restaurant after "Freeze" hit, he told me how proud he was of me!

"Freeze" started a bit of a dance craze across the nation, launched by my appearance on American Bandstand. The kids "Froze" when I sang the word "Freeze!" Dick Clark did a little dance - a couple of steps to the song himself.

I was moving towards being a singer-songwriter when I co-wrote Freeze.

No comments: