Sunday, February 10, 2008

(110) LISTENING TO DEMOS WITH ELVIS PRESLEY

I became a regular at Elvis' house parties by 1961, sometimes spending entire weekends there, using a guest room when I needed to. But I didn't use the occasion to pitch my songs or songs written by American Music peers. There was an understanding there about keeping a separation between friendship and business, just like there was an understanding among Elvis' friends and his entourage-employees, about the conduct expected when it came to women.

But Elvis respected songwriters greatly. He knew there were no songs without them because one thing Elvis didn't concentrate on was writing his own songs. Discovering great songs - songs that he loved - was his thing.

Johnny Rivers and I used to get over to Bel Air by three Saturday afternoon on a typical weekend. And it was Elvis who played demos for us, to get our opinion. These were demos he had been sent by various artists, some which made it into his hands through friends or Colonel Parker, his manager, and other demos which he himself had recorded. There was confidentiality expected, privacy to be maintained, about the music Elvis was considering recording himself. Elvis playing demos became a bit of a ritual for us. I was honored that he cared about my opinion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Wes Bryan~
Thank you for your website of interesting past achievements. You have a very colorful past. I would like to ask if you plan one day recording an American religious themed album, in the tradition of Elvis Presley, Ernie Ford and Pat Boone and many others?
Sincerley,
Osuki Ahtan
Tokyo, Japan

WES BRYAN and CHRISTINE TRZYNA said...

Hi Osuki. My voice is still strong and I like your idea of recording a religious album though at this very moment I haven't planned one. (Please be aware that there is another Wes Bryan out there who is a Christian minister and he has written a book and has a CD out, but he's not me!) When I used to visit Elvis in Vegas, after his shows we would go to his suite and everyone would sing gospel along with Elvis. You could feel the spirit in that room.

Raised in the south I enjoyed religious music at the Baptist churches in my hometown.
Thanks for asking Osuki!
Wes