Thursday, October 4, 2007

(42) ON THE ROAD WITH ROCKABILLY SUPERSTAR BUDDY KNOX!

By the time I left Clock Records and signed with Roulette Records I was at another crossroads. And there was Buddy Knox, the Rockabilly Superstar, there by Fate I suppose. I had signed with Roulette Records, the same label that Buddy Knox and Jimmy Bowen were on. Buddy asked me in New York to go on a tour of the great United States of America with him which I did beginning in 1959!

Buddy Knox had a lush touring bus and a caravan of late model cars while Jerry Lee Lewis still traveled in a school bus. We passed Jerry's gray painted school bus on the road in ours!

After all the radio and television variety shows and record hops and dance parties I had played and sang at, I had never been on the type of tour that Buddy was on, playing nightclub venues all over the country!

Earlier in this blog I posted some You-Tube videos of Buddy Knox and Jimmy Bowen performing on Ed Sullivan's television show and Jamboree. Buddy's "Party Doll" was his signature song, unique with two guitar solos, and a song he had written himself. Here's a video a fellow put up with a song Buddy did on the tour, "Rock Your Little Baby To Sleep."

No comments: