Tuesday, February 14, 2012

(403) ONE SUMMER NIGHT : U.S. INTERNATIONAL : MY OWN LABEL


Designing a record label I would be proud of for my own business, U.S. International Records (I was thinking Big!) was a major consideration for me. Some time had passed since my songwriting contract at American Music had ended with the death of Sylvestor Cross, and I decided to do what so very many artists are doing today, go independent.

My cousin Dean, an artist, helped me by designing this, and he did the art-work the good old fashioned way - hand drawing. I still think it's a beautiful label.

As for the recording, I took a truck out to the beach in Malibu and recorded seagulls and waves and added it to the production of "One Summer Night," which got a couple great reviews and good airplay, even though there was near no money to promote it to the radio stations.

(We haven't noticed a copy on the e-bay auctions since 2007!)

After I put it out and it started to get that airplay, Randy Wood at Dot Records decided to release it on his label.

One of the people who put it on the air, on his syndicated show, and that meant the record was heard in Europe was famous DJ and funny man Gary Hollis. Gary and I are still friends to this day.

No comments: