Thursday, November 18, 2010

(340) TURBULENT TIMES TO LIVE THROUGH LATE 1963

When I think back to November 1963, I can say that the good times were rolling and we thought they would never end - until the moment that JFK was assassinated.


Elvis had "Fun in Acapulco coming out" and had put out a number of albums that year. Buddy Knox, my music partner and friend, though he would pursue his performing career for years more, had a Golden Hits album out... I had a few songs recorded by other artists out and was driving around Hollywood in a Jaguar living on songwriting residuals.


I was writing songs at American Music and recording demos for other artists, and had not completely given up on the idea of being an actor.


My friend Christine White had house parties in the Hollywood Hills and introduced me to other actors living and working on the West Coast as well as one particular agent who was very famous.


And none of us had heard of the Beatles or could imagine the impact this British group would have on music or American culture or us!

No comments: