Monday, June 15, 2009

(252) JERRY COLE - AN INTERVIEW WITH WES BRYAN

This is from an interview I did with Wes recently during one of our meetings. Christine Trzyna

Wes Bryan:

"Jerry Cole always drove a big Lincoln Town Car. It was a massive car for a guy who was barely five feet tall. But Jerry was BIG is so many ways..."

"He had the biggest Fender amps at the time. And Jerry had a low resonance in his voice (Tequila!) that made him SOUND like he was six foot four - bigger than the sky."

"When I started producing records, I called Jerry into the studio to play every chance I got. He was a natural arranger. And he became a regular on the Shindig television show... Jerry's gift was that he could play just about any instrument he got his hands on, so when we recorded we would "stack" various instruments. He helped me more than anyone. Always a smile on his face. A one man band."

"I ran into Andy Williams at the Farmers Market on Fairfax, in Los Angeles. He said this of Jerry: He's one of the best musicians that every existed." At the time Jerry had lead Andy's band and produced a record called "Tell Mary," a hit on Capitol.

Jerry's passed away - a great loss to me. I think of him on so many different occasions. He's on so much of the music that I produced.

No comments: