Wednesday, June 12, 2013

NEIL YOUNG ON WALLICHS MUSIC AND THE WHISKY A GO GO

Pages 147-148 From Neil's recent memoir, also quoted earlier in this blog:

... "Let me describe WALLICHS for you: They sold all kinds of music there - 45s, LPs, sheet music, books about music - and in a little shop upstairs guitars and other instruments were displayed.  There were also listening booths where you could hear singles on headphones and see if you wanted to buy them.  I spend a lot of time there.  Of course, the place was crawling with flower children and beautiful hippie girls.

Anyway, like I said, upstairs at Wallichs there was a guitar department.  Martins, Gibson's all manner of electric and very nice old acoustic guitars were there.  This was around the time the Springfield (Buffalo Springfield- his band before CSNY) was happening; we were playing at the Whisky a Go Go, about a mile down Sunset toward Beverly Hills.  Stills (Stephen) and I went to Wallich's a lot and tried out Martins together . Stephen was fast becoming an excellent player and had surpassed me in his knowledge of voicings, and he was always playing rhythms naturally that blew my mind."

No comments: