Tuesday, June 5, 2012

KEVIN SPACEY : KATE BOSWORTH : BEYOND THE SEA

Christine here. As some of you know, these last few months I've been trying to catch up on old movies I've never seen before. So I got BEYOND THE SEA, the movie about Bobby Darin's life that came out a few years ago in 1994. I was so impressed! The movie didn't feel at all dated either. Kevin Spacey, who I learned had acquired the film rights along with Bobby's son Darin, and who also starred as Bobby (doing his own singing) as well as cowriting, coproducing, and directing, turned into Bobby Darin. But more than that, flashbacks and fantasy sequences were used to reveal what was going on in Bobby on the inside, the side that most entertainers hide.

Kate Bosworth as Sandra Dee had the vulnerability of the child star who was growing into a woman in front of the camera. The mothers were something else! The personal scandle Bobby comes to terms with is the news that his "sister" is really his mother and she doesn't know who his father is. It was a stunning, humbling, event, which Bobby came to terms with, along with finding his more serious side, a side that cared about the way the world was turning.

In short, I loved this film!

So if you, instead of me, haven't seen it yet... do!

Linking to the IMDb site on BEYOND THE SEA!

No comments: