Tuesday, April 5, 2011

(354) MISSING PICTURES MISSING PETE! (HOW I MET MARLON BRANDO!)

One day my friend Pete Tambunga took me down to the Dick Cavett Show.

The show started in 1968 and went on for a few years. He was friends with Marlon Brando and wanted to introduce me to Marlon!

(Pete was also friends with Marlon's son Miko.) He knew Brando from their mutual Native American involvments. I'm also a bit Native American, a great grandmother was Cherokee, now Eastern Band Cherokee, near Murphy, North Carolina.

Dick had a talk show and interviewed so many of the famous over the years. He was (and is) an intellectual and so the conversations could be sophisticated. But when we met, Pete, who had a way of turning phrases around (I still use Tambungaisms), and me started telling jokes.

Someone took out a camera and took a picture of me, Marlon and Pete. Then Pete took one of me and Marlon. So I want to see those pictures again, though not as much as I'd like to talk to Pete again!

On the show Marlon is talking about social causes, in particular the racism experienced by Native Americans. Surprise! We're linking to the DICK CAVETT BLOG website THE OPINION PAGES from the New York Times above!

PS: FROM WES : This is the show! Marlon was coming out of the studio and yelled "Hey Pete!" And then Pete introduced us. He gave Pete a hug and then me a hug.

No comments: