Tuesday, March 2, 2010

(298) SUNSET STRIP RECORD COMPANIES : IMPERIAL RECORDS

Lew Chudd was known for discovering Fats Domino but in the early 1960's he signed Ricky Nelson. Ricky put out his first album "Ricky" on Imperial and several singles that are memoriable hits for him. Ricky was famous for being part of his on television family "Ozzie and Harriet," but when Lew signed him he had his first taste of being a Teen Idol.




The kids called him Ricky and he was a Teen Idol for sure, but Rick Nelson, when I met him was a shy guy who let loose playing touch football with Elvis and his team, E.P. Enterprises.

I know some of you who know me these days (and know my sense of humor is till intact) may not believe this... but I am basically a shy guy myself. Being a Teen Idol pulled me out of my shyness... but I can retreat back into it. I think the same could be said for Rick... for Elvis...

Rick Nelson recorded a good number of songs written by one of my American Music songwriter peers, Jerry Fuller. "Travelin' Man" was recorded by Rick, using Elvis Jordanaires as background vocalists.

Rick also recorded "Poor Little Fool," and "It's Up To You" on Imperial.

In 1963 Imperial was sold to the Liberty label.

Christine here: Wes said to add a bit to this blog post. He said "Poor Little Fool" had no bridge but had a great arrangement by JAMES BURTON (who I hired in the studio and who went on to work for Elvis Presley) and a good storyline to it."

No comments: