Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A CONVERSATION with WES BRYAN on CAROL KAYE

It's Tuesday February 22nd, 2010 at 4:19 PM. Wes Bryan and I are sitting here together on the computer...

WES BRYAN: I knew Carol Kaye. "The Wrecking Crew" was originally all of Phil Spector's people... people like Jerry Cole. Carol was a member of Musicians Local 47 and in the studios with a lot of other great musicians, some who became my friends or who I hired when I was producing.

CHRISTINE TRZYNA: Which friends were those?

WB: Glen Campbell for one. Jerry Cole...

CT: Did you ever work with Carol?

WB: No, I was working with Jerry Cole and Joe Osborne but I saw her around studios and I knew her work. Carol could play the hell out of that bass. In fact if you were giving out a GOLD MEDAL, a SILVER MEDAL, and a BRONZE MEDAL, Carol, Joe, and Jerry would be scrambling to win within seconds of each other...

CT: What was the relationship between Carol, a woman in the studio in the early 1960's music business in Los Angeles, and the men?

WB: There was a hell of a lot of competition, because there is good money to be made as a studio musician, and lots of people went from the road into the studio or the studio onto the road. THE GREATEST BASS PLAYERS WERE IN LA!

Carol Kaye was THE ONLY WOMAN playing the bass in the studios. The guys treated her like a little sister. She was personally a little bit on the shy side and very particular about her playing.

She had a lot of class, a lot of elegance - bet she still does!

CT: If there was anything you could say to Carol Kaye right now what would it be?

WB: She's been there and done that, and I look forward to reading the memoir she's been working on for a decade! It'll be a big seller, especially among the music loving crowd, and all the people - the fans - who love all the people she worked with as well! I'll be sitting in the front row at her book signing, waiting to buy my copy!


C Wes Bryan and Christine Trzyna All Rights including Internet and International Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember you, Wes, from the time I was in Hollywood in the 1960's. I met you at a coffee shop on Hollywood Boulevard. You were with a friend who was a doctor and a dancer from South America. I think his name was Mario. He was quite Suave. You were quite the Lothario yourself. You were recording a record at the time, but I don't remember the name of it. I was visiting Los Angeles with my parents and my sister from Iowa. My name is Diane, but I am sure you don't remember me. I have thought of that incident many times over the years. Are you still making records?

WES BRYAN and CHRISTINE TRZYNA said...

I'm still writing songs and still producing in recording studios. If you have a chance, send me your e-mail address on a comment, Christine will block it for your privacy, and I'll get in touch! I have wonderful memories of those days... and my friend was Mario, a professional dancer and dance instructor!