Tuesday, June 24, 2008

(166) HISTORY MOMENT : ALAN SHEPARD TRAVELS IN SPACE

I'd been a bit embarrassed singing "Tiny Spaceman," the novelty song that was on the flip side of "Lonesome Love," put out by United Artists, even though for me this was a Gold Record. But today I realize that it is one of many songs about space travel through the years that became popular, engaging our imaginations about what was possible - human potential.

I had to practice, get my timing just right, to sing "Tiny Spaceman," as it was really a difficult song with a lot of space alien Do Wop talk in it!

"They welcomed the spaceman and gave him a gold key. He ate the key..."

Here's a YouTube video that preserves the excitement of 1961, Alan Shepard as the first American man in space for the United States. Click the title above to go right to this video.

No comments: