Saturday, November 17, 2007

(73) SYLVESTER CROSS - CREST RECORDS and AMERICAN MUSIC

American Music Publishing house in Los Angeles, owned then by an eccentric named Sylvester Cross, was one of the biggest publishing houses in the country. Cross owned the rights to songs that were classics and steady money makers like The Sons of the Pioneers songbook. He became independently wealthy by investing what he made at the song writing factory into real estate.

Cross figured that with a staff of talented musical employees working in various collaborations he couldn't loose. One or two hits and he had payroll made and more beach front property.

I'd been writing songs and offering my friends my songs - as they offered theirs to me - since New York. But I owned the rights to one song when I signed with American Music.

The key was to write a song that would become a hit. Then residuals would fatten the songwriter's wallet. Theoretically. We had a quota - about 20 songs a month if I remember correctly. Cross provided the funds to make a demo of a song, with basic instrumentation, which sometimes included other musicians, but often mean me - my voice and a guitar. The demo was then sent off to the artist or artists that we thought could do best with it, for their consideration.

RCS DISCOGRAPHY has a page here on Crest Records which was owned by Sylvester Cross. Now if you look at the line up you can see some names familiar to this blog... Eddie Cochran, who was managed by Jerry Capehart, who was managing Glen Campbell when Glen scored a hit with the song Jerry wrote, "Turn Around Look At Me," and Jerry Capehart himself. (Dick Bills, I believe, was Glen Campbell's uncle who he was performing with when Jerry walked in and discovered Glen.)

Link above to Rockin County Style Discography on CREST.

Once again you can see how we music makers were all intertwined.
Here's a Crest Discography by TAPIO VAISANEN...

1 comment:

Jullianne said...

Hey Wes,

Do you know what happened to Crest's catalogue? I'm trying to track the master license for the song "Primitive Love" by Tom Reeves.

Thanks,

Jullianne